Issie: Why I Write My Blog                                                          

Why I Write My Blog

    
It sometimes crosses my mind if people wonder why I write my blog.  It is a very personal blog and I do not hold back on the gory details.  I have never received any negative feedback and I often get lovely genuine messages from random strangers who thank me for sharing my story and inspiring them in their own lives.

The main reason that I write this blog is to help other people who may be experiencing cancer.  That is all that I want to do.  If I could hold the hand of every person that may be suffering or in pain, I would.  I know what it is like to go through a cancer diagnosis and treatment.  I have experienced the highs and lows of this awful disease.  And I want to tell people that they are not alone.  There is plenty of genuine help and support out there and no one has to suffer in silence.

Cancer is not the worst disease in the world to get.  I can think of many illnesses that are much worse than cancer.  Also, having a mastectomy is not the end of the world either.  If you had a choice to live with a mastectomy or to die with two breasts, I am sure that you would pick a mastectomy too.

Positivity is the key.  You have to believe that you will get well again, and you will.  I never for one second doubted that I would beat cancer, and I have beaten it.  Every day you have to get up and tell yourself that "I can do this".  Daily positive reinforcement is critical.  Believe and you will achieve your dreams.  There will be tough days and days when you may feel defeated, but get up and face the day head on and force yourself to be a winner.

Healthy eating is critical for your overall well being.  You are what  you eat.  We all know what is good for us and what is bad for us.  It is not difficult to eat a healthydiet, but you have to be super organised and plan ahead.  The food pyramid is a great place to start.  Try to eat a variety of foods.  And my motto is "Little and often".  I eat 3 main meals and 2 snacks a day.  If I an hungry, I eat.  I always have a huge supply of fruit and vegetables in the house.  Also, if you do not have chocolate, biscuits, and sweets in the house, you cannot eat them.  I really cannot re-iterate how important healthy eating is.

Exercise is vital for a long, happy and a healthy life.  Try to get 30 minutes of physical activity a day.  Do something fun that you enjoy.  I love walking so even on those long, dark winter nights I wrap up, I put on my high visibility top and off I go with a torch.  No excuses.  Whatever exercise you decide to do, do it regularly and you will rep the rewards.  Also, a great way to exercise is with friends.  Perhaps you could take part in a fitness class or organise to go for a walk with a group of friends.  If you commit to an activity with a group, you may be more likely to continue with it long term.

A balanced, happy lifestyle is a critical ingredient for your long term success.  How are your stress levels?  Do you love what you do?  Are you passionate about your life?  Any negativity can have a detrimental effect on you health.  If you do work, do you absolutely love what you do?  I believe that you have to be happy in your workplace.  I work full time, but I completlyadore what I do so I look forward to going to work every day.  Equally though, on Saturday and Sunday I completely relax and recharge my batteries.  I need 2 days of family time and me time every week.  I also have a small circle of very close friends and we meet up regularly for a girlie gossip.  My favourite hobby is shopping so I ensure that I escape to a shopping centre regularly to get my fix of retail therapy.

I know that I am very lucky to be getting a second chance at life.  I am grateful for every new day that God gives me.  My core believes and philosophy's are very simple.  You must have a positive attitude, you must eat a healthy, varied diet, and finally, you must strive to have a happy, balanced lifestyle.  Remember that too much of anything is bad for you and always treat others as you would like them to treat you.  :-)  xxx 



Me and Dave.  December, 2014.
Photo by Peter Johnson.