Issie: How To Stay Positive Into The Future                                                          

How To Stay Positive Into The Future

    
It is a strange feeling when your treatment finishes and your hospital visits become less frequent.  You are expected to go back to living your old, normal life.  However, the whole process will have radically changed you.  It is impossible not to.  The whole process of cancer, the suffering that you  will have seen in hospitals, the realisation that we are are mortal.  Your life can truly change in the blink of an eye.

So, how did I stay positive throughout everything and especially now, into the future.  Well, I have a few tips to share with you.  I never once believed that I was going to die.  I saw it as a trial, a test so to speak.  I focused on getting as much information as possible on my diagnosis and treatment.  I wanted to know everything about breast cancer and this gave me something to do between hospital visits and treatments.  I constantly focused on the next treatment and getting though it.  I had little goals set for myself.  I counted down my treatments and my goal was to get to the end.  It felt like I was doing a project or a course.  It was a chapter of my life which I would get through and it would make me stronger. 

I constantly surround myself with positive people.  I am close to other cancer survivors who are upbeat, energetic and who enjoy every day.  Life is for living and you need to focus on the good and forget the bad.  I read positive and motivational quotes daily.  These are fantastic and really help me.  I love them and they give me constant boosts, drive and energy.

Try to ensure that you enjoy what you do, whether you are a stay at home Mom or a working Mom.  They say that if you love what you do, you will never work a day in your life.  I can honestly say that this is true in my case.  I love my job, I love my home and I adore my family and friends.  If you are not truly with any aspect of your life, I suggest reviewing it and making the relevant changes.  Who knows, being unhappy may lead to sickness.

I relish a little me time.  Even if it is a walk alone, a drive, getting my hair done or reading a book.  Take some time out for yourself to relax and reflect on everything.  Do something that you enjoy doing.  It is important that you make time for yourself.  Learn how to say no to people.  This is a skill.  After all that you have been through, you are entitled to a little respect from people should you require down time.

Make plans for the future.  Plan little trips and overnight hotel breaks.  It does not have to be something expensive.  Why not visit that friend that you have been meaning to but just never seemed to have the time.  Celebrate your birthday.  Every birthday is an achievement and do something special to make the occasion.  Why not cook a nice meal and invite your favourite friends over.

Do some charity work.  Help other people.  There is more joy in giving than in receiving.  The most valuable asset that we have is our time.  Once it is gone we can never get it back.  Visit an old relative or neighbour.  I guarantee you that they will be delighted with your presence.  Be giving of your time always.

Never forget what you have been through, but focus on the future.  I sometimes visit the chemotherapy ward that I was treated in and bring biscuits or chocolates.  It holds so many memories for me.  The nurses, Jackie, Susan and Mary were so kind to me during my treatment.  If I can help anyone else get through it, I will.

I enjoy every day of my life.  When I get up every morning, I thank God that I am alive and I promise that I will cherish every moment and be the best person that I possibly can.  I look forward to the future, to milestones in my children's life's, to things that  I will do and places that I will visit.  I try to help other people and I constantly read motivational quotes.  Here are a few to show you what I mean.











I would like to share my facebook and twitter page with you.  I fill them with positivity daily!  I call myself The Cancer Queen.  Enjoy.  :-) xxx

https://www.facebook.com/TheCancerQueenBee

https://twitter.com/IsabelODonovan